Using the Pixelmator image editor for Mac is very easy. It is a valid alternative to Photoshop, and is characterized by a precise and powerful editing and by a rather simple interface.
The program can be downloaded for a directly from the Mac App Store. In order to make the best use of all Pixelmator features and a truly professional results, we recommend using a graphics tablet. In the next steps of this guide we will take care of us explain how best to use this software.
- First, once you have opened the program you’ll have to choose the format, and the image size that you want to edit. Alternatively, you may upload a photo. It will automatically be adjusted to the working window. Normally, to edit pictures you go to take action on many factors such as brightness, size, saturation, filters, levels, and so on. All functions that are available are in the menu at the top of the screen. In particular, you can choose from these drop-down menu: Pixelmator, archive, composition, image, level, filter, view, window, help.
- Now let’s see in detail the different menus. The first is that you find Pixelmator: In this menu, you can view information about the program version and all those that are general preferences, such as interface, transparencies and rulers. From the File menu, you can instead go to create new images, save them in your favorite format, export them on the web or print. The menu composition instead presents what are the main features to turn your photos, such as the selection, rotation functions, inversion and so on. Then we will find all the necessary and basic options for editing.
- The Picture menu is useful if you wish to simply touch up the colors of the photo without changing it in another way: in particular, here we can go and change the color curves, saturation (ie the concentration of color), color tones and, finally, we can also decide the final size of the image. As regards the level option, as in other editor, you have to know that even Pixelmator supports layers.
- This is useful if, for example, you have a figure in the foreground, cut out and pasted on a higher level, and you just want to change the underlying background. In doing so the picture will buy a greater depth. The advice is always to create new levels and perform many tests to look for the desired effect. Once you have found him, simply click the ” function groups ” levels so that we can regain a flat image, but with the effects applied.
- We now see the option Filter: this is the menu that allows you to get the most fun and immediate effects. Selecting an image area, or across the entire photo, we can put different effects such as distortion, blur, mosaic, and many others, up to a truly professional result. View from the Window menu and you can decide which windows and what options to show the toolbar, and with the help menu, we can quickly search of Pixelmator options.
- The toolbar, along with the Layers dialog, is the set of all the tools we can use to modify, using the mouse or graphics tablet our images. In this regard, it is important to know that there are various options available: select, move, lasso tool, magic wand, crop, eraser, brushes (you can choose from various sets of brushes, or import them from other programs such as Photoshop), gradient, sharpness, dropper, text, zoom and many other smaller options. As you probably figured out, the use of this software is as easy as ABC: in just a few clicks, you have the ability to edit your images allowing them to achieve the effects you want.
Note: Dedicatedel time testing the various instruments, Work with layers, Get yourself a tablet for a better result.